Remembrance of things to come [poem]

I

Once I knew the weighty tug
and aching back
of vegetables pulled from crumbled soil

Now
I know that the contents of
the plastic bag
are washed and ready for use


II

Once I knew the warmth
and comfort
of a cardigan knitted softly
by the tender hands
of a mother

Now
I know that
the embossed signature on my breast
will be held in higher regard
than the name that seemed so significant
last year


III

Once I knew the fabric of belonging
that ran through and around
the patched
                cleaned
                polished
                woodworm-free
                at-least-two-of-the-legs-are-not-original
sofa

Now
I know that I can order a new one
twenty four hours a day
three hundred and sixty five days a year
and that
when they deliver it
they will take away the old one


IV

Once I knew the dutiful joys and pains
of caring for my elderly father
       for your broken daughter
       for his baby son
       for her dying mother

Now
I know the address
of the residential facility
where we store the more troublesome members of our families


V

Once
I knew how to be

Now
I know how to buy



























[If there's a photo down here it was added August 2017 as part of blog refresh.  Photo is either mine or is linked to where I found it. Make of either what you will.]


Comments

Popular Posts